11 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2014 9:42 AM by plttech_caitlin RSS

M165 Marque 2 problems with iPhone 5

marcomarcoman Newbie

I've gone through 3 M165's trying to resolve a problem working with my iPhone 5.  I will be on a call and I will hear a faint "pop", immediately followed by an absence of sidetone and complete silence in my ear.  The caller on the other end can still hear me but I cannot hear them.  I have to switch over to the phone or speaker phone.  Other times it will start making a loud hammer like noise in my ear and I have to shut it off to stop it.  I have a iPhone 4S and a BlackBerry Bold that these problems do not occur on.  It's odd but I could not find a single Marque thread on Sounding Board.  I reviewed the Voyager thread and I tried shutting off WiFi and it has not helped.  I've turned off notifications to see if that helped and it does not.  I have stopped the Bluetooth service and restarted to rebuild the stack and it has not made a difference.  It happens in airports, my car and friends homes so I've ruled out interference.  I love the way this headset fits in my ear but I'm going to be forced to find another brand.  Ideas?

• Re: M165 Marque 2 problems with iPhone 5
    plt-graham PlantronicsEmployee

You might want to try resetting the Bluetooth connection between your phone and headset to see if that helps the issue. To do so, first delete the headset from your cell phone's list of paired devices. Once deleted, make sure to power your phone completely off. Then power it back on. (This will reset the Bluetooth stack in the BT software on the phone). Then re-pair the headset with your phone.

If this does not fix your issue, we suggest pairing the headset to another cell phone, as a test. If your headset connects properly to the second phone, then the problem may be with the first phone rather than the headset. If the issue continues with the second phone, you will need to replace the headset.

gilesw Newbie

Hi Marco,  I get the identical issue on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with the exact same symptoms as you.  There is no pattern to the timing as to when it will "pop" - it can be after 60 seconds or 10 minutes - but typically happens when I am on a call to a customer.  I do really like this headset but have lost confidence in it as I've had way too many calls where I have to flick over to the handset.

PLTAdmin PlantronicsEmployee

Hi Giles,

I have forwarded your post to Tech Support, hoping to hear if they have any solution for you soon.  Thank you for your patience.

chris30 Newbie

Hi!

I have the identical problem with my M165 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. With no pattern right in the middle of a call I hear a crackling/hissing noise, very short, and after that the line is dead on both ends. I can't here anything and the same on the other end of the line. After switching it off and on it works again like nothing has happened. Till the next time it happens. Sometimes after short, sometimes after 10 or more minutes. With this fault the headset is useless.

Please solve that because otherwise I like it very much. It's very comfortable to wear...

But also I have alway a hissing during calls like atmospheric noise. Sometimes louder, sometimes lower. I can always understand the caller but it is really disturbing and disappointing.

plttech_caitlin PlantronicsEmployee

Have you tried the steps suggested by Graham? Unfortunately, if resetting the connection between the phone and headset does not correct the problem, the headset will need to replaced. It will have come with a one year warranty and if still covered, we will be happy to replace it for you.

-Caitlin

marcomarcoman Newbie

My problem was finally resolved but I think it may have been my home office environment.  I had a Plantronics Savi headset plugged in but not in use in the same room.  I unplugged the base and voila, my M165 stopped losing connection.

PLTAdmin PlantronicsEmployee

So glad your found your solution! 

chris30 Newbie

Hi!

Glad that Marco has found his solution.

But for me that is not the reason for loosing the connection. In my appartment I have no other BT Devices and it happenend also in the office and in the car.

Guys from Plantronics: How far is your investigation of this problem?

The issues you have described are not the expected behavior of the M165. If the issue continues after resetting the Bluetooth connection with your phone, the headset will need to be replaced. It will have come with a one year warranty.

u100009 Newbie

Hi Caitlin

I've the exact same issue with my M165 on my iPhone 5 as Marco & Chris... my son offered me the BT headset for X-mas to replace my old dying Jabra BT-8010 that was one of the best piece of technology ever built, but unfortunately Jabra discontinued a while ago.. He was advised  by the store vendor (BestBuy) to pick-up the Marquee M165 because it was trusted brand and of good quality.. I had good faith in PLT products for several years, as they were well known for their desk-phone headset and other PC headsets... unfortunately in the case of the M165 this is almost a complete failure...  The volume button only allows 3 levels, from which the loudest one is creating too much distortion in the ear that it becomes painful. My Jabra had a wheel for the volume control which was perfect to find the right volume and very natural to use.

The design is not bad for the in-ear hook and around the ear, and I can wear it almost the entire day without feeling it... Sound quality is bad at the best compared to my former Jabra... many people complain that they can barely understand what I say and the same is true in the other side, sometimes I have to ask people to repeat what they just said, because the noise cancellation is horrible or the sound is distorted.

I too experienced recently multiple drops of the connection while I was in the middle of a phone call... in the office, this can be OK because you can quickly switch to the cell and change the speaker mode back to phone... I've not made any system SW changes to my iPhone since I've received the M165 and tried also to remove/re-add the headset, without any success.. the drop can happen any time during a call and when driving, this is very dangerous, because then you loose the focus on the road (BTW, aside of the fact that you have to pick-up the phone to your ear and that puts you in law-breaking mode, as this is strictly forbidden). The Jabra never had an issue to connect with my iPhone 3GS and 5, even after the phone was shutdown and restarted, whereas the M165 sometimes can't find my phone, despite the BT being enabled. Music and Podscasts sometimes don't play over the headset and go thru the speaker, which is not what I expect...this seems to be random.

Does PLT have considered providing a firmware update for this model ? how can this be done ? I don't want to return this to the store, as it's almost 5 months I have it now and don't want to bother my son with those problems. This is my only working cell-phone, so I can't really validate if it would happen also with other brands or models.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Unfortunately, the M165 does not have firmware that can be updated.

First I would suggest resetting the contention between your phone. To do this you will want to unpair the headset from your phone one more time. Then power the phone all the way off and back on again. Now re-pair the headset and phone.

If the issue continues after preforming the reset I suggest contacting out technical support directly for a little more in depth troubleshooting to determine if the headset will need to be replaced. Please note that it will have come with at least a one year warranty.

-Caitlin