4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 10:44 AM by plttech_caitlin RSS

Is there a difference between the discovery 975 and 975se?

boe Newbie

If so does the 975se have

Better Battery life?

Bluetooth 4.0?

A newer noise reduction program?

New features?   (please don't say white is a feature   )

• Re: Is there a difference between the discovery 975 and 975se?
    boe Newbie

Looks like it is just the same headset with a new name.   That's a shame as it was a good headset years ago but it should have improved significantly with current tech.   I'd buy a new one if they

1. Improved the battery life

2. Updated the BT to version 4.0

3. Allowed usb firmware updates

4. Allowed noise cancelling tech to be turned on and off.

pop Master

boe,

It's very unlikely adding an "se" changes a major function like BT version   Since, no one from Plantronics has responded yet and if I have to guess I would say the SE stands for special edition; the 975 was only in black and SE is available in white and black. I maybe wrong, but for the time being that's my theory

For better battery life, you perhaps need to wait or pick another headset like the Legend; USB firmware updates are available in the Legend but then again it's only useful if there are enough updates.

I like the idea of BT 4.0 and it should significantly change the battery life but it's going to take it's own sweet time before it gets to hit headset manufacturers, even Android has native support for 4.0 only since version 4.3, which is just released.

My 2cs.

boe Newbie

I just got a Sennheiser Presence.   I've only had it a few hours so I can't say 100% if I'll keep it as it was fairly pricey for a headset.   I'll know in a couple of days.

I have however already had a few people say I'm clearer on my new headset.   Since I haven't called from the car yet I won't know for sure.

Setting it up for Skype was ridiculously easy.  I plugged in the dongle - waited 30 seconds and boom - it took over for Skype.

I can be on Skype with this headset, get a phone call on my cell - press the button and it switches over to my cell.   Press the button to hang up and it switches back to my Skype call.

I don't think it comes with an android battery app - that is disappointing but I'll find out for sure and report back my findings on battery life, call quality in a noisier environment and my final opinion.

It is nearly as comfortable as the 975 which is great and it is light but I need more use to give a real opinion but so far it is pretty favorable over the 975.

I think if Plantroics tried, they could make something at least as good as the Presence but so far nothing in their lineup really competes.

plttech_caitlin PlantronicsEmployee

Hello,

I'm sorry that we didn't see this post before now. We are implementing a new process for supporting the Sounding Board so that we will be able to see and respond to more users posts.

The Discovery 975 and 975SE will be same same as far as the headset goes. The difference is that the the 975SE is available in white as well as grey and it will come with a car charger rather than an AC charger.

It's like when they do release the replacement for the 975 that it will have a different model number altogether. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on what the features will be or when they will be releasing a replacement.

-Caitlin