84 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2014 12:55 PM by Old_Faithful RSS

Legend Not Charging

ckaps01 Newbie

Okay I'm having issues charging my Legend, I just purchased it and when I first plugged it into my laptop, I got the standard three light for charging.  But since I upgraded to the 44 firmware version, it won't charge.  I've plugged it in the wall & laptop, I get three / four blue lights then nothing afterwards.  I purposely drained the battery down to see if it would charge and it talk time has not increased.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks.

• Re: Legend Not Charging
    pop Master

Are you saying it doesn't charge at all, or that it doesn't give you the expected talk time?  The Legend stops blinking it's lights if it's fully charged.

lusid Newbie

I returned my first legend because it stopped taking a charge after about a week.  Now my second one does not seem to be charging either.  It shipped with firmware 44.

Also in the manual it says the LED will turn off when charging is complete, but even when it did charge successfully the LED did not stay on during charging.

Is this a firmware problem?  or am hitting a 100% defect rate with a sample size of 2?

Is there a way to "factory reset" the headset?

Mackie Apprentice

Firstly I must ask have you drained it so it's completely depleted and announces "Recharge Headset" and powers itself off, then tried charging it?

lusid Newbie

On the first one I did.  It then recharged, but the same thing started happening again.  Talk time would be depleted as I used it, but not replenished when I attempted to charge it.  eventually it just always said "recharge headset" whenever I took it off the charger.  So I returned it thinking I had a defective unit.

The second one start doing the same thing.  It got down to about 3 hours remaining.  I tried every combination of button pressing to reset it.  The only one that seemed to do anything was power switch off, then volume down+call+command, hold for 4 seconds and the blue led flashed once.  I turned it back on and it reconnected with my phone, so that wasn't a full reset, but now it charges and the lights flash every few seconds while charging. 

Don't know what, if anything, that button combo does, but for now at least its working.

Mackie Apprentice

Unfortunately to say that button combination is a Red Herring and does not actually do anything.

mark720 Newbie

Its possible that turning off the headset and turning it back on is what caused it to start charging, here is what I am experiencing, can you confirm if the results are the same on your side?

When headset is powered on and paired to PC (BT300), it does not begin charging when connected to same PC or AC adapter via USB cable. Turning the headset off, then attaching it to USB cable initiates charging, then when turning headset on it continues to charge (as indicated by LED and battery status icon on PC). If I then take a call and place the headset back on the USB cable charger when finished, it does not begin charging.

The only way to get the headset into a charging state while on and paired with the PC is to turn headset off, connect to cable to intiate charging, and then turn on headset. I opened a case with Plantronics, pending reply from them.

borland502 Newbie

I experienced this issue too, but I believe I found the solution.  I installed the myheadsetupdater and thought, "how strange, it didn't install any software."  And then I used it for the day; afterwards, like you, it wouldn't charge on the outlet or a computer.

Then I went to this site:  http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/myheadset/updater/

And found that the program was merely the backend for the world's most unintuitive updater.  Once I wrote my settings to the headset the darned thing started charging.  Even five minutes later and the battery app on my phone is registering additional minutes.

Edit:  Ok, I'm not sure what's going on then, because charging stopped at 4hrs 38min (from four)  There must be some minor detail I'm missing, because voodoo tricks don't affect electronics and there doesn't seem to be any widespread outcry about this issue.

chiggin1 Newbie

I am having the same issue.  The headset seems to charge ok, but seems to stop working or not awake from sleeping.  If I attach it to my PC, go to the web site and read the settings then 'update' the settings all is well. 

rjdunn1 Newbie

I do not think you are correct; I am having the same issue with mine... it will not charge now and I have only had this headset for 2 weeks. Based on my google search there seems to be a great deal of people with the same issue. I will call tech support this afternoon and if I do not get a resolution I will return this headset and purchase on from another manufacturer.

chiggin1 Newbie

My legend simply stops working sometimes.  Seems to be when I remove it for a few minutes and do not turn it off.  It seems to go to sleep and never wake up.  Turning off or On has no effect.  Turning it on I see the blue light pushing volume switch makes light flash but no sound from ear piece.  my phone Galaxy Nexus no longer sees the headset.

I plug the headset into my PC, go to the support site, have the web app read the config and write the config and all is well.

I returned my first legend when advised by your tech support folks that it was defective.  I got the new one and this is still happening.  Am I doing something wrong?  IF so please help me

bikezilla Novice

I bought my Legend in December. Box date Sep-12

It stopped charging about a week ago or so.

It also would not be recognized by the USB port or the updater, not even the newer version.

I tried all kinds of thing including attempting to charge it on my PC, my laptop, and 2 or 3 different USB chargers.

No luck.

I returned it to Best Buy and got another box date Mar-13

aaronfrankel Newbie

Has anyone ever found a solution to this? My Voyager Legend stopped charging after 6 weeks.

When I put it in the corresponding desktop charger the charger blinks red three times then goes to a solid blue. But it never charges.

- Yes, I tried updating the firmware. It was already current (44).

- Yes, I turned it on and off a bunch of times.

- Yes, I tried three different chargers.

pop Master

I would suspect the charging cable. There are a few threads here where the problems were identified with them. As such if the headset is not charging there are only three possibilities.

1. Charger is not working

2. Charging (USB) cable is faulty

3. Headset is faulty

If you have access to a spare charging cable you could try that or else request for a warranty replacement.

Let me know how that goes.

benjamin Newbie

I am having exactly the same problem as all these other people.  I am on my second Voyager Legend in just a little over a week.  It stopped charging just like the first one.  I have tried suggestions from this thread and still nothing.  Getting very frustrated with Plantronics.  I have always liked them until now...

m.jeddy@gmail.com Newbie

Any official replay from Plantronics?

-----------------

Update:

I just got off the phone with their support. They don't seem to have a solution other than reloading the firmware. A replacement has been requested.

benjamin Newbie

I did get a response. It was disappointing to get the first response saying they were not aware of any charging problems when clearly there are. After I pointed out this thread to them the replies were more helpful. At least they do answerMine has started charging again. The problem may just be that it has to be turned off while charging. After the battery completely  drained, it would charge again. I've made sure it was turned off now and so far so good. I never was able to get it to update.

pcbtmr Newbie

I have found that the magnetic contacts of the charger extremely sensitive to movement once connected to the earpiece.  I can plug it the charger cable, blue light flashes once or twice depending on current charge level, set it down it it will stop charging (blue lights not flash again).  If I VERY gently place the connected earpiece down on the desk WITHOUT the connector moving even slightly, it will continue to full charge (all the while the earpiece is powered down).  Extremely frustrating but it works.  I also noticed once that when I ran a clean pencil erasure over the earpiece contacts (remove oxidized brass?) it connected for charging.

Hope this is useful to someone.  I hope Plantronics gets smart about the LACK of microUSB port for future releases.

m.jeddy@gmail.com Newbie

the problem is FIXED

Last night after requesting a warranty replacement I found a button combination that rested the headset and fixed my problem. It goes as follow:

1. Disconnect the headset and switch it off
    2. While the headset is switched off, hold the volume ( - ) toggle switch, the Answer/End button, and the mute/pause button all three together
    3. The LED will flash blue for a second and thats it

Reconnected the headset to the charger it was fixed. Keeping in mind that my headset was continuously telling to me to recharge. In addition, it (using an iOS device) it was showing battery low all the time. Even though I continued to use it for a whole day while it was working OK. Apparently my problem was an indication one where the headset thought the battery was low all the time.

pcbtmr Newbie

This is interesting.  Someone earlier in this thread said this button combination "actually does nothing".   The last 2 days my headset has dropped BT connection when a call is connected and requires manually sending the call to the headset.  Doing this button combo "fixed" this issue as it is not happening to day and no charging happened last night.

nettiebelle Newbie

I was having the same problem. However, this suggestion seems to have worked for me!

Thanks to Majed!

Re: Legend Not Charging

Majed SabbaghNewbie

the problem is FIXED

Last night after requesting a warranty replacement I found a button combination that rested the headset and fixed my problem. It goes as follow:

1. Disconnect the headset and switch it off
    2. While the headset is switched off, hold the volume ( - ) toggle switch, the Answer/End button, and the mute/pause button all three together
    3. The LED will flash blue for a second and thats it

Reconnected the headset to the charger it was fixed. Keeping in mind that my headset was continuously telling to me to recharge. In addition, it (using an iOS device) it was showing battery low all the time. Even though I continued to use it for a whole day while it was working OK. Apparently my problem was an indication one where the headset thought the battery was low all the time.

kdwalter Newbie

I had this same problem where the battery got low and was getting the "Recharge Headset" voice. Tried to charge every way possible (Case, USB Connected, Little USB adapter, etc). Nothing. I tried the button combinations and firmware updates and it didn't work. In an act of desperation, I plugged in the little USB connector to a wall charger and hung it from my desk so only the magnetic connection was holding it in place and made sure the red light started blinking. bingo... left it there for a few hours and back in business.

Not a scientific answer for sure, but worked for me so thought I would throw it out there.

adub79 Newbie

Having a similar issue as my three day old voyager legend has depleted it's battery and now will not recharge through various means of charging. Two different lap tops (pc based), two different 12 volt adapters in my truck, and three different wall usb charging plugs (tried one that came in box first).  Totally bummed out and wanting my Voyager pro back.  Tried tech support this eve and obviously had to leave a message.  Additionally saw the "reset" method supplied by Majed that seemed to work for some others to no avail.   Any advice other than the obvious wait and see what tech support comes up with?

Old_Faithful Master

I'm not sure what's going on, because I have had intermittent charging problems as well in the past week or so with my replacement headset, and was wondering if the contacts weren't the problem. This morning it was finally recharged after 12 hours in the case (not connected to the power supply) and the case was warm to the touch where the connection is, which would indicate an electrical problem in the case.

Bottom line, you probably have a bum headset/case/charger/cable or what not. Don't hesitate to ask Plantronics to send you a replacement, it is unconscionable for a headset in this price range to be this unreliable. I'm going to call them tomorrow about mine, I'm not going to stand for this.

Old_Faithful Master

After a week of testing I can confirm the trouble is in the case (it charges fine from the adapter).

Furthermore, after yesterday's session listening to music while I was walking the dog, the speaker blew, in other words I started making weird noises at some frequencies.

And yes, I've done the repairing unpairing, tried with music and phone and reloaded the firmware.

I don't know what's happening with Plantronics, this is my second unit after the first got horrible sound, what are the odds of problems happening not once, but three times? Plantronics should be well to do a recall, because reliability with this model sucks big time :-(

PLTAdmin PlantronicsEmployee

Hi Old-Faithful,

Sorry to hear all your bad experiences with Voyager Legend.  Thank you for your feedback.  We would let the product development  team to investigate the issues you are having.

lyc Newbie

For the intermittent charging problem, sometimes I also have the same problem in wet weather.  In addition, my sweating in hot climate also cause this problem.  Perhaps the moisture in the air oxidized those connection pins.  After I have used the connection cleaning fluid to clean them, it works again.  However, I found that it does not happen in former Voyager Pro HD because they use the mini-usb as charging connector.

Old_Faithful Master

Thanks for the encouragement, that's a useful tip, to check connectors for oxidation (a plain rubber eraser does wonders if you don't have fluid). Unfortunately, in my case, the unit is just a few weeks old, and there is a noticeably warm spot in the case at the magnetic connector while it tries to charge, which makes me believe it's just shabby soldering. I've seen some really horrible soldering work from made in China stuff lately, stuff that makes one think it's probably put together by kids in some sweatshop.

Plantronics should really check their shipments. If one customer (me) has run into three separate problems on two units, imagine those who couldn't be bothered to speak out and simply returned their units at the store where they purchased it...

dcrolltide Newbie

I am having the same charging issue on my Legend. Mine only started occuring after i upgraded to the latest firmware.  I logged a ticket, and Plantronics sent me a new headset. The new headset came, i upgraded the firmware, and boom the charging issue happened again.

Based off this analysis the new Firmware is the problem here.

plt-graham PlantronicsEmployee

Updating the firmware shouldn't be able to stop the headset from charging. Normally only a few things would cause that. Make sure you are turning the headset off to charge. Leaving it on can interfere with the charging process.

You may need to clean the contacts on the charging cable and headset with a rubbing alcohol swab. If any build up is in place it can interfere with the charging connection.

If the charging indicator in the headset has locked up. To correct that you would normally let the battery drain, recharge, and test.

Or if the battery itself is no longer taking or holding a charge. If that is the issue we can replace the headset. You can use the following url to view the replacement process.

http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/kb/detail.jsp?vfurl=/articles/en_US/Warranty/RN9669&p=&c=All&k=service&t=All&lang=en_US&popup=false

Hope this helps.

knight0217 Newbie

I just experienced the exact problem.  Just got a replacement headset. Charging was working fine, but call / sound quality was poor.  I upgraded to the latest firmware and the same charging issue I had with my previous headset immediately came back

plt-graham PlantronicsEmployee

If the above information didn't resolve your issue, we can replace the headset.

You can use the following url to view the replacement process.

http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/kb/detail.jsp?vfurl=/articles/en_US/Warranty/RN9669&p=&c=All&k=service&t=All&lang=en_US&popup=false

whatsittooya Newbie

Hello Graham

I work for British Telecom and they have issued me with one of these on the 6th November 2013 and I am getting the same issue - I cant believe when I look through this thread how many issues you have - I would ask that you or someone contacts me to tell me how to replace my headset - I would welcome a phone call or a number I can reach someone with knowledge on this matter

Please tell me what you can do for me - if this is something that is a design flaw then I need to know as I will have to go back to using my Jawbone and inform my purchasing deptartment that we should not be purchasing these headsets for this reason

Please advise urgently.

Old_Faithful Master

Steve, I just received my replacement headset after experiencing intermittent charging issues with my old one.

Charging went fine, but audio was a bit noisy (or so said my mother, who is hard of hearing and for whom I initially purchased this headset). When I connected it to the updater, it said it had firmware 44, so I updated it.

I will be testing the unit today and get back to you with my findings regarding recharging.

whatsittooya Newbie

Hello - sounds to me that we have a faulty product that should be either resolved or retired - I work from the office and from home but the one constant is my mobile phone and using a blue tooth headset whilst on the move - I am sure I speak for all on this blog when I say that the history to this is long and I can not believe that it has not been resolved by now.

I hope to get a speedy resolution to this by Plantronics if not I shall go back to using my jawbone

Shame as i like the unit - very comfortable to wear and some good features.

Cheers

Old_Faithful Master

Hi Steve,

If this can be of any help, I have tested my new unit and with firmware 93 loaded, it charges as expected :-)

In other words, my first charging with firmware 93 would indicate the charging issue is not related to the firmware, but more likely caused by a hardware problem.

I too love this headset and in the course of my daily activities, personal and professional, depend on a headset that I can wear 24/7 and that needs to work without fail, and like you, have been very close to throwing it to the dog, so to speak.

Your worries are understandable, as some of us have had to go through not one but two replacements before getting a unit that works without issues, but although it would seem alarming that so many defective units seemingly reach the marketplace, if you think about it, it's not that unlikely, as defects tend to present themselves in batches, and as products tend to reach any given market from the same batch, therefore your chances of getting two defective units would be higher and you'd need to get a unit from a different shipment to lower your risks of getting a second defective unit ;-)

In any case, it has been my experience in the last couple of years that there seems to be a higher proportion of defects in high end products as they become more complex. My $3000 laptop had to be repaired under warranty not once but three times over 3 years... In every case, customer service was extremely quick to resolve my problems (they even offered same day on site service). So did I part with it? Hell, no! I even got an updated model because I know that when worse comes to worse, I'll be able to count on them to have my issues resolved.

In the end, what is most important in any product you chose, whether for yourself or your company, is how good customer service is, because it is not if, but rather when you are going to need it and I can tell you from my experience (other people here have had similar experiences), that Plantronics customer service has been stellar. Can you say the same of Jabra or its competitors? That is the question!

Corrected by: Old_Faithful (Buggy web form editor)

whatsittooya Newbie

thanks for the information - I hope your headset continues to work well.

I will post again once i have seen how my headset has performed over the next week

Thanks

Old_Faithful Master

Thanks, Steve, as you can see I have high hopes with this headset, because this is the first headset that has sound clean enough for the party at the other end to understand everything I'm saying without shouting, even in moderately noisy environments.

With my mother now 87 years old losing her hearing acuity, the sound clarity has been a precious improvement, over the Discovery 975 I used to use, in our being able to keep in touch while living far away from each other and we are now able to keep conversations for sometimes an hour on end and actually share activities together, such as doing a recipe as she's supervising me on the phone from 85 km away :-)

With our population getting older, any improvement in sound quality is not only welcome, but is becoming essential for the older generation to combat the isolation that creeps up when friends around you pass away, and I am grateful to Plantronics for making a product that works well in that respect, especially since the last firmware update. The other improvement I would love to see would be a more powerful speaker to replace the existing one that is weak even at maximum volume level, and a better fitting, noise-excluding, in-ear canal earbud. This would, in my opinion, vastly improve sound quality without adding complexity or significant weight, at seemingly little cost.

Now if Plantronics made a wireless headset that would also work directly from a landline, that would be so nice for my mom as it would stop her from running to her phone as she does now, getting out of breath every time I call her ;-)

pop Master

Hey there!

The other improvement I would love to see would be a more powerful speaker to replace the existing one that is weak even at maximum volume level, and a better fitting, noise-excluding, in-ear canal earbud.

IMO the speaker is fine, it's the fit that creates the problem. Perhaps Plantronics need to look at  more ways of embedding this into the ear, with an optional in-ear piece as well. However, that said, the design of the Legend, doesn't hurt at all and is probably one of the most comfortable headsets I have ever used, even though at times I have to press it hard into the ear in very noisy places. The new firmware v93 has increased the volume further so the number of times I do that has reduced significantly now.

Now if Plantronics made a wireless headset that would also work directly from a landline, that would be so nice for my mom as it would stop her from running to her phone as she does now, getting out of breath every time I call her ;-)

You should be able to pick up a cheap Bluetooth Landline adapter and pair it the with the Legend   or look at something like Calisto Pro from Plantronics.

Old_Faithful Master

Thanks for your detailed answer, pop! Before going any further I must ask... HOW do you get the quotation to work on this forum? I don't see the option at all...

As for the speaker in this headset: I must disagree about sound quality, as my $5 earbuds have much better sound even when not being fitted tightly in the ear canal. It's just a matter of speaker quality and design, and it may well have to do with optimal frequency response fro voice versus music and power consumption.

Nevertheless, I agree that quality is quite adequate and clarity has improvement tremendously with firmware 93. I am still puzzled, BTW, with Devaratu's problem. Although this is my third Legend, I haven't experienced nor have I read of any of the problems he has described.

I will definitely look into this landline bluetooth adapter, not only for my mother but my wife and I as well, as we're not getting any younger and we've come to hate having to 'run after the phone' all the time. As a matter of fact, I've come to hate using any standard phone as I usually walk around when on the phone for any length of time (drives my wife nuts) and love to have my hands free while I converse with someone. Having to hold a phone, on the other hand, invariably causes me to hang up rather quickly, as it just becomes uncomfortable rather quickly ;-)

Without going too much into my love/hate relationship with this headset, I do agree with you regarding it's great qualities (when it works, grr!). I as well couldn't live without it anymore. We'll, I'd fall back on my old Discovery 975, but using a phone without one is simply unthinkable to me now and one of the two reasons I've come back to it even after all the issues I've experienced (the other being Plantronics' truly excellent customer service).

whatsittooya Newbie

Hello

The way you have replied with this post may make people think that you work for Plantronics or get paid commission from them as you seem to constantly want to endorse the product - be careful to stay impartial otherwise people may think that you have a vested interest.

Just a thought

Old_Faithful Master

Hey Steve,

I understand your meaning. It's simply that I've worked A LOT to get this thing to work AND NOW IT FINALLY DOES :-)

That being said... It's just in my nature to never give up on any technical issues, and I research things in depth. It's just the way I am. However, I fully understand what you're saying and find it abnormal that we, the consumers, should have to investigate issues to such depths!

Perhaps you should have asked the more appropriate question: "with all the time and effort you've spent here on this forum, how do you find the time to get any work done?" to which I would have to answer: you are right, and as a matter of fact, I did neglect my income generating duties of late, with all the technical issues I have had since last summer, and it so happens that today, as I write this, I have just been called by my bank saying I've fallen behind ;-)

Cheers, I'm leaving to put some fires out ;-)

PLTAdmin PlantronicsEmployee

Please keep us updated on your headphone performance.  We will gladly to provide replacement info if you still need them.

Thank you!

Old_Faithful Master

Having had to deal with Plantronics Customer Support several times in the past  and although I can't vouch for its product reliability , I can vouch for Plantronics' excellent customer support.

And although I've been posting here regularly and have become quite knowledgeable with the product, I can assure you I don't work for Plantronics, unless you consider unpaid beta testing and reporting my findings here as 'working' for the company

Bottom line, like in politics, if you don't participate, nothing will change. I strongly believe it's thanks to people like us and forums like these that products get better.

tiggerito Newbie

After 2 months away I came back to find my Legend would not charge.

Today I decided to update the firmware from 44 to 99. It seems somewhere in the upgrade process it got fixed as it is now reporting 100% charged after only a few hours :-)

phoenix2791 Newbie

Bought my Legend 3 weeks ago and for the most part had no problems until a few days ago.  Plugged into outlet wouldn't charge, plugged into USB wouldn't charge (originally seemed like connection was loose.  Decided to try a firmware update just to see if that would fix the problem.

As soon as I connected via USB the laptop recognized the device (eliminating the issue of was the connector loose).  I went to the firmware update page and ran the updater.  While on the updater page I noticed that the charge light was blinking so I assumed the problem was fixed (and again not a loose connection).  As soon as I left the update page the blue light quit blinking.  I left it plugged in for about an hour turned it on and sure enough it had not charged at all.

I then went back to the updater page and ran the update again.  Again the blue light began to blink indicating a charge.  I decided to leave the device plugged in and the updater page on (as this had the charge light blinking).  The updater page reflected that the update was successful.  After approximately an hour the light went out, I disconnected it and low and behold I had a full charge.

I know that there are several replies here that indicate this is a faulty hardware issue but I beg to differ.  My device clearly charged when connected to the updater page and having rerun the firmware update (as long as I was on the myupdater page).  That indicates to me that this is not faulty connectors or USB cables but a firmware issue.  Maybe I am wrong as I am certainly not a programmer but the hardware clearly charges (you just have reach around your elbow to scratch your backside so to speak to get it to work).

I will be trying it again at the end of the day and hopefully it will charge correctly without this process but at least it has a charge for now.

Hope this helps.  And please let me know if it works for anybody else.

parmadewol Newbie

I agree and can confirm Jason Pressly's findings above - my headset will only charge when I'm carrying out an update. This suggests that the bug isn't hardware related at all. I've had the same problem with my Voyager Legend for the past two months or so - it doesn't charge when I connect it to my PC, laptop or a mains outlet.

To get around the issue, I run the Headset Updater once a day. After completing the update process, I leave the headset connected and it charges for about an hour while the updater webpage is still open. No idea why it only seems to charge in this scenario, and it is highly inconvenient, but it's good to know the workaround exists.

Old_Faithful Master

That IS bizarre... Maybe a fault from the same factory run? It would be interesting to find out what serial number both your headsets have (it's under the ear gel, 4 digits)...

mreuby Newbie

This is working for me as well. My headset was indicating that it wasn't charged, then I simply opened the updater, as soon as I did the indicator light started flashing blue and the desktop icon indicated it was charging and had 5 hours of talk time.

I put in for a replacement but when I read the fine print it turns out you have to pay shipping and they send you a refurbished headset. With all the answers saying they went through multiple headsets with the same problem, and this strange fix, seems like it's better to just do this until they finally release a decent update.

Love the headset, but the fact this still isn't fixed and your replacement policies are pretty disappointing for how much the units cost.

plttech_caitlin PlantronicsEmployee

what version of windows are you running?

-Caitlin

phoenix2791 Newbie

I am using Windows 8 64-bit

I know with 8.1 there are some issues with the power settings for the USB ports that cause them not to charge devices so that might apply to Windows 8 as well. I would suggest testing it with an AC charger to see if this issue is limited to your computer. If you follow the link below you can take a look at a post from Microsoft support with some troubleshooting steps.

Some USB devices do not recharge in Windows 8.1

-Caitlin

phoenix2791 Newbie

Sorry, it was 8.1 Pro.  My apologies.

I have already tried the AC charger and it doesn't work.  The only time it works is plugged in to the USB on the laptop, run the updater, and leave that page open even after the updater is complete.

Jason

Jason,

That's very strange. I would suggest contacting our technical support directly and they can do a little bit more in depth troubleshooting with you. It sounds like the headset may need to be replaced. If you let me know where you are located I will be happy to get you the correct contact information.

Just out of curiosity, did changing the power settings for the USB ports do anything?

-Caitlin

parmadewol Newbie

I'm also using Windows 8.1. Haven't tried changing power settings for the USB ports, as this appears to require making changes to the registry.

This might be helpful to Plantronics, perhaps:

As a device maker, how can I provide this fix to my customers?

All you have to do is either create a new INF file or add to your existing INF File, the following snippet in the Install section of the INF:

[VendorDevice_Install.NT]

include = input.inf

needs = HID_Inst.NT

[VendorDevice_Install.NT.HW]

AddReg = VendorDevice_AddReg

[VendorDevice_AddReg]

HKR,,"EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled",0x00010001,0

[VendorDevice_Install.NT.Services]

include = input.inf

needs = HID_Inst.NT.Services

Note, this is not a complete INF. It only shows the sections needed to add the registry. After you have created the INF file and validated it, you can sign it and post it on Windows Update so users of your device can get the fix automatically.

phoenix2791 Newbie

Caitlin - I did not try changing the power setting on the USB port yet but I will shortly and report back.  I would imagine though that the device would at least charge via AC adapter.  Its almost like the device only recognizes power from the USB port while on the updater. 

Do you have a link to someone in tech support that I can initiate a ticket with??

schmak01 Newbie

This worked for me.

I would detatch the device

Go to Device manager, HID (human interface devices) and go through all the USB input devices.  Right click them one by one, go to events and copy the USB\VID_012A&PID_B34C (will be different for each device) into notepad.

I then plugged the device in, looked through each again (it should add one more USB input device) until I found one where the device ID did not match what I had in notepad.

From there I went to regedit:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\

From there select the device ID you saw in the Events tab, open up the GUID folkder then the Device Parameter's folder.  Lastly open the key EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled and set it to 0.

Now unplug and plug back in your headset.

It should charge.

I had to do this again today due to the windows 8.1 update this weekend

astrobufff Novice

Hi friends.

I have a Voyager legend purchased in end of 2012 and that worked beautifully till, for the first time in its life,  I put it to charge with the POWER switch on the Headset  set to ON. Hell broke loose.

The Headset would switch on with Red LED flashing and the greeting "Power on, Recharge headset."

The headset would connect to my phone and take calls. All else was normal.

I had no clue as to what had gone wrong. The headset is too well built and my usage careful enough for the headset to fail in such a short time.

I ran through all the posts on related forums and arrived at a few conclusions which helped me revive my headset on my own to FULL WORKING CONDITION. Read on.

First and foremost, as with all SMART devices the Legend can hang or freeze. When HUNG the handset inspite of being fully charged will give you the message "Power on, Recharge headset." It is hung / frozen my dear friends, NOT DEAD.

Don't Panic. (I did)

Do the 3 button reset (With Power Switch set to OFF, Press the Volume down, Call End and Mute buttons simultaneously for 4 seconds till a Blue flash is seen from the LED). Now leave the Headset overnight without touching it. In the morning, simply switch it on and use it WITHOUT CHARGING IT. Run it through the day and you shall see it return to normal battery reading function.

Another "Reset" combination suggested on these forums is : With the power set to OFF, keep the Call and Mute buttons pressed continuosly while switching on the headset.

My friend had just left his hung handset unused for a few days and it returned to normal function. (Power Switch in OFF position.)

I had additionally updated the firmware from 44 to 99 using  http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/myheadset/updater/

This however may not be necessary in your case.

The response to voice commands of "Answer / Ignore" have improved.

Static seems to have reduced.

Battery status is shown by flashing LED on startup.

The update does help marginally improve functioning though.

Hope this would help some of you in a similar predicament.

Although I enjoyed the challenge of restoring it, honestly it was extremely unnerving till it was fixed.

As with all premium electronics, understand the device and learn to work around it's quirks. Your experience will be unparalleled.

If you do perspire a lot, a lot of organic material in combination with dust would settle on the headset contacts due to its location. This may result in poor contact and charging issues. Rubbing the contacts with a pencil eraser should primarily clean the contacts. The same could be done gently with the charging cable / charging stand / charging case contacts.

Additionally, one may spray a little WD40 / CRC 2-26 (Electrical contact cleaner) on one end of a ear bud and wipe the contacts clean with it, followed by using the dry end of the ear bud to wipe off the oily residue.

**MOST IMPORTANT**   DO NOT CHARGE THE HEADSET WITH POWER SWITCH SET TO ON**

It works most of the time but it may hang once in a while.

Message was edited by: Himanshu Sheth

larock0wns Newbie

I had same problem.  What seems to work is charging via AC outlet (usb to ac adapter).  I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 from 8, and it seemed to start there.  I see there is a 8.1 fix mentioned above (looks incomplete), so I'll try to find the full info on 8.1 fix and see if it fixes the USB issue.  (which also might solve the issue of the update failing via the updater software)

tiggerito Newbie

I just tested out charging via the AC outlet and it seems to have worked for me (so far)

Before that I was continually running the annoyingly slow updater (why do I have to install it every time!) which would sometimes get it to charge for a while.

Windows 8.1

schmak01 Newbie

Looks like whatever this is, its not fixed.

First thing I did after I bought mine a week ago was update the firmware to 99.  The first time I plugged it into my USB 3.0 Hub it charged fine.

After that no go, running Windows 8.1 Pro, using the charger that came with it, the micro USB dongle, and several cables that work fine with my Lumia 920, none of them would work.  No blinking.  I tried the soft reset, nothing.  I tried a USB 2.0 port, and a 3.0 directly from my desktop as well as plugging it into my Lenovo Helix.

The only thing that seems to work is plugging it into the wall charger USB adapter.

Not the best solution as I will have to now always carry that around, but at least it works with ANY wall plug to USB adapter, as I have an old one for my Jabra Jawbone and my phone that work fine.

I have also tested on a Windows 7 desktop and it works perfectly fine with the same cables.  Charges up nicely.

I am thinking the USB charging issue is more related to a Windows 8.1 driver issue for the headset than the device itself.

Spokey Newbie

quick question.

I just got this yesterday and I'm having charging problems.  I left it charging all night and it didn't charge.

I am running win 8.1 so that could be it.  But I am confused about the LEDs.  The manual shows no LED at critical, low, and charged.  That seems like a poor design to begin with.  So if I see no LED I have to guess whether 1) something is broken, not plugged in, etc; 2) it's critical or low/ or 3) it is fully charged. How does that make sense.

But the real question is the color.  The manual shows red LEDs.  My voyager pro (which seems to have a more sensible charging indication) shows red, but this does not.  If I am now finally charging on the AC adapter, it is only blue LEDs.  They are currently blinking (slow blinks) blue about every 10 seconds.  Not red but blue color.  Is that correct?

thanks

• Re: Re: Legend Not Charging
      Old_Faithful Master

No charge on Windows 8... Well let's just be polite and say that Windows for Toddlers has teething problems.

As for your flashing blue on a charger, it's normal. If the headset had shut itself off due to full discharge, you would get the red LED, as in 'critical'. As it isn't good for Li-Ion batteries to be depleted so low, it is a good choice of color IMO. Blue means it's just low. Depending on the number of flashes, you get your approximate charge level. Nearly full, it flashes three times, low it flashes only once. It stops flashing when it's fully charged, which it should be by the time you read this

Spokey Newbie

thanks.  I did fully charge on the AC.  I tried the registry change but that didn't seem to help.  Not sure I did it correctly though.  My devices just show "USB Input Device".  I tried the MS way of figuring out which device.  But while a third entry shows up, descriptions and all the seeming obvious things to look at where identical in the details property.  So I changed the setting for all of them and that didn't work.  Odd too that in addition to another "USB Input Device" two other devices show up.  I will take a look at those to see if one of them does the trick.

smsm Newbie

i am running win 8.1 and the only way i can get it to charge is once i have updated the firmware or when i have MyHeadset Updater open on the desktop