55 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 8:17 PM by astrobufff Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Voyager Pro :Wont turn on/ flashes red while charging

aettin4157 Newbie
My plantronics voyager pro  wont even turn on now, and flashes intermittent red while charging.  I was trying to pair it with my phone after the phone had a hard reset.  and now it won't even turn on.  When I put it on the charger,  it flashes twice then 3 sec solid red, then flashes twice and repeats.  Any suggestions?
  • Re: Voyager Pro :Wont turn on/ flashes red while charging
    Mod1 PLTEmployees

It sounds like there is something wrong with your headset.  If you would like Plantronics to replace your headset, please package it up and include your return address, phone number and a copy of your receipt and send to:

Plantronics

ATTN: Service Center

345 Encinal Street

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

topsham116 Newbie

To the Administrator:

My Voyager Pro will not charge at all.  Red light remains on constantly during the charge, but then the headset will not start.  I have seen your other replies.  I do not have my receipt.  Will Plantronics still replace the headset?

BennTech Newbie

I have same problem as original poster. My Voyager Pro won't turn on, light, or make any sound. The only response I get from it is when charging it flashes red twice, once extremely fast then a second slightly longer flash, short pause, repeat. I had thought it maybe just needed to be reset, but couldn't figure out how and online search turned up nothing. Finally broke down and called Plantronics Tech Support in manual, which directed me to call another number, 800-544-4660.

Tech Support said the double red flash is because the headset is unable to hold its charge (hence, reset would not have helped anyway). My headset is only a few months old, so I was told to send it to address already given above. Now I get to pay for shipping and wait (no mention of time...a week? 2 weeks? 6-8 weeks?) and they'll send me a "refurbished" one that's been in someone else's ear. Lame (and nasty).

toothy Newbie

This is the second time I've had this happen.  Previously I just bit the bullet and bought a second one assuming I had somehow broken it.  Not it's happening again.  Who keeps receipts for ALL of the stuff we buy?  I can't manage all that.  If this is a factory defect then Plantronics should just be replacing it immediately upon receiving the defective unit.  I don't want a refurbished unit.  Probably end up with one of the ones that had the same problem.

edpustilnik Newbie

Hello,

I have the same problem,  I am on my second set in since march 17th of 2010 and both just died one day.  I got mine through Amazon and I do not think I want a third one.  I want either an other model or my money back.

-mic- Newbie
          I had the same problem with my 3 months old Voyager Pro. I bought it at Apple Store Singapore. The red light flashes when I charge the unit. And it doesn't turn on afterward. I don't have the box nor the receipt anymore. Can I have this unit fix, or better, got a replacement? Looking at postings above, seems like this is a common problem with Voyager Pro. Plantronics should take better consideration on this problem. Alas, this one actually the best bluetooth headset I ever bought.
            rfsartor Newbie

I received a Voyager Pro as a gift from a friend about 4 months ago. It was far the best Bluetooth I ever had, until one day it simply stops to charge. I kept it charging for a couple of hours, the red light flashes for a while and then it stops, neither red or blue light appear. When I try to use, it simply does not turn on. It is dead!

How could I fix it:?

I do not have any receipt as I received as a gift, neither I kept the boxes as I never would think to need it anymore, specially because the it is supposed to be one of the best products of the best manufacturer. Great mistake!!!

guerrssn Newbie

rfsartor

I solved the problem by first connecting the headset to the charger, then make the two metallic contacts of the plug touch a metallic piece or surface (door key works), then plug the charger into the wall power outlet and it should be starting to  charge the headset correctly. After 1.5 to 2 hours of charging, the red light turns off indicating that the headset is completely charged. 

This has worked for me twice, hope it works for you too. 

I still don't know what is causing this malfunction, perhaps static electricity, not sure...

Best regards! 

coolyiu Newbie

mine have the same problem, and the door key method works! thanks so much!!!!

I was using the headset for over 5 hours and probably used it until the battery drained out.

put it in the charger for 2 hours and tried to turn it on but it doesn't

so I searched on google and found your post.

LadyK Newbie

I've had my headset for less than two weeks. Its the Voyager Pro +. It worked fine for a few hours, I placed it on the charger, and now although the red light flashes when on the charger, it has been charging for several hours. When I take it off the charger, it will not come on. I did not keep the receipt. Can I return this to your company?

tccarren Newbie

Thank you guerrssn - i also had a failed voyager and this trick fixed it. I just had to turn on the unit and then turn it off again (while it's connected to the charger) in order to make it stay red and charging.

kwi13a Newbie

what 2 metallic  are you talking about please explain further.

Thank you

fiawan242 Newbie

Dear Guerrssn,

I also have the same problem. I have tried your trick but it's not working for me. I connect the voyager to the charger and make a contact/ short two plug terminal with keys, metal. It's only works/ charge for 15 minutes then the charging red light goes off but the voyager still will not turn on.

Sorry for sound likes stupid question. How long do you short the two plug terminal before you charge the voyager? Thank you.

Fery

citizencorps Newbie

My PLT Legend stopped working yesterday. The blue light would come on when I put it on the charger but even after charging all day it still would not turn on.

I followed your sage advice and put the Legend back on the charger, then took it off and ran my house key across the contacts (my Legend has 5 contacts) for a few seconds.

I put the headset back on the charger and the lights flashed red this time (instead of blue).  I let it charge for a few minutes then took it off and turned it on and it worked!

Thanks!

antonpanin Newbie

I have the same problem , i dont understand witch metal contact you guys talking about . There is only efw metal exposed on hedset its . 1, on microfone (on the end , inside and outside part - the are metal ) 2nd , The micro USB plug .   If Micro Usb pluged in to the cord , i can only see 1 metal part , witch is micro USB itself . and i not quite getting it witch pary you talking about . 

PLEASE explain . 

Or it just tels me its a fake fix or something . 

acydgod Newbie

I think they are saying to short circuit by connecting metal to both prongs of the power plug.  I tried but no help.  I did notice that the micro-usb slot was getting pushed back into the earpiece and would slide back out a bit when I withdrew the plug.  

My theory is that if you inadvertantly put the usb in the wrong way (enough times), it can cause the usb connector to become loose inside the earpiece and stop it from charging. 

markdphoto Newbie

This happened to me also after owning the headset for about three months. Of course I have no receipt so I bit the bullet and bought another.

After a three hour charge I tried to apir with the phone and it switched off in the middle and would not come back on. It is DOA.

Although I like the headset I am really annoyed with this design defect as it seems to be not unusual for this to happen judging from the posts.

dougmc9 Newbie

acydgod wrote:

I think they are saying to short circuit by connecting metal to both prongs of the power plug.  I tried but no help.  I did notice that the micro-usb slot was getting pushed back into the earpiece and would slide back out a bit when I withdrew the plug.  

My theory is that if you inadvertantly put the usb in the wrong way (enough times), it can cause the usb connector to become loose inside the earpiece and stop it from charging. 

This is the problem I have after 9 months of use - the micro usb socket on the headset is now loose and the headset doesn't recognize when the charger is connected...but I don't see how you could put the usb plug into the socket the wrong way - it wouldn't insert at all due to its design...?

In any case, I'm now in the market for a new bluetooth headset without this defect - any suggestions?

Thanks

Doug

Taweesak Newbie

It's a miracle, indeed. My voyager Pro+ came back to life after 1 month dead.  This is the second time for Plantronic bluetooth headset. The first experience was for Plantronic 210. It went dead for several weeks or so. Then I took it from my drawer, put it to a wall charge. Out of the blue, it came back to life again and I still using it now.  Tonight, I just miss my voyager pro. Took it from the same drawer then plug it to a wall charge. It came back to life again. It turn on by itself and went into a pairing mode. So I let it pair to my Nokia. It back to work again. Now I put it to a wall charge and will use it tomorrow.  

I just thinking this symptom might be the mulfunction in the battery. I think Plantronic should investigate on this. 

Taweesak Newbie

I recommend anyone who have this problem. Don't do anything!!! Just left it for a couple of weeks or maybe month. It might come back to life again. It might because the mulfunction on battery.  Maybe the charged ion might have gone wrong. So we need to let it drain by itself. 

bparker Newbie

I have 3 of the plantronics Pro HD that are displaying this behaviour.  2 of the 3 are new out of the box. 1 of those 2 has never been paired with another device and was connected to a charger, fully charged, then a applied firware update. The other was used for a few days, then firmware applied. 

Seems like the firmware is the issue.  Can anyone with plantronics confirm or deny this as a possible cause?

Tech support said that the blinking red light when connected to the charger indicates a bad battery or issue with battery and the unit needs to be replaced.

Why would 2 new units that charge properley before a firmware update not power on after a firmware update?

Note: the firmware was completed succesfully with 2 of the units without any deviation from the instructions and no errors were received from the updater during the process.

When the updated units are connected to the updator,  they can not be recognized, although windows does. (Windowx XP Pro 2002 SP3 system used to apply firmware.)

Headset configuration/date codes:

1) LBA1

2) TVH1

3) LBL1

Anyone>?

Oh BTW, the key trick doesn't work.  And I highly doubt leaving it in a drawer for months will mysteroulsy fix it either. :smileyhappy:

bakkes Newbie

I can confirm that a FW upgrade causes the device to go 'dead'. I had it for one day. Worked fine. Did a FW upgrade. This went ok. "Firmware successfull; you can now disconnect the device"

Now i can't get it turned on or charge. When charging it flashes red for a minute or so. After that nothing happens...

Mod1 PLTEmployees

I'm not sure what could have happened, I was able to update my headset and it is still working fine.  If your headset is no longer working, you should either return it to the store where it was purchased or if you live in the US, you can package the headset up and include your return address, phone number and a copy of your receipt and send to:

Plantronics

ATTN: Service Center

345 Encinal Street

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

arpaterson Newbie

I had exactly the same problem as bakkes and a number of other who have posted here (see my post http://soundingboard.plantronics.com/message/36866#36866) and also had the flashing red light symptoms despite having had no problem holding a charge.

I have contacted Plantronics Tech Support in the UK and was told I could request a replacement headset via their website http://service3.plantro.com/Login.aspx

I went through the steps on the site only to get message telling me that as my headset is out of warranty I have to call them.  I have no proof of purchase and cannot recall exactly when I bought the headset so I expect I will be politely told they will not replace it.  As a result I haven't even tried calling.

So the summary seems to be - think very carefully before you decided to update your headset and only do it if you have all the proof of purchase documents and are within your warranty.

arpaterson Newbie

An update on my above post.

Someone in the Plantronics customer care team in EMEA must have seen my post as I received an email from them advising that they would allow me to replace my headset without providing any proof purchase.

I did this via the website providing all the details they asked for.  Within a couple of days I received a replacement headset with instructions on how to ship my old one back to them.

Excellent service from the customer service team.  It’s just a pity that the tech have not been able to sort out what appears to be a problem with the MyHeadset Updater.

glomenth Newbie

I can confirm this too! I bit the bullet and just bought a second one and didn't upgrade the firmware via MyUpdater. No issues ever since.

EVERYONE, do not upgrade your firmware especially if you're running Windows XP! THis baby works solid out of the box so dont try to do anything funky with it by upgrading the firmware. Plantronics, you need to get this sorted out with your firmware developers! THis is a serious issue.

Mod3 Master

To all - there is now a recovery option available if you experience problems with our MyHeadset Updater. I recommend updating your firmware when you see a new update available - these updates fix miscellaneous bugs and known issues with our headsets. To anyone who has experienced a headset becoming unresponsive as a result of the headset update process, we will absolutely replace your product.

chuck@adkmtn.com Newbie

2013 quick update.  I have a Voyager Pro purchased in March 2011.  Just had the "blinking red light" issue in the last week.  I let it sit for less than 2 days, and then it started taking a charge again.  Good tip that may work for others!

chiggin1 Newbie

My legend simply stops working sometimes.  Seems to be when I remove it for a few minutes and do not turn it off.  It seems to go to sleep and never wake up.  Turning off or On has no effect.  Turning it on I see the blue light pushing volume switch makes light flash but no sound from ear piece.  my phone Galaxy Nexus no longer sees the headset.

I plug the headset into my PC, go to the support site, have the web app read the config and write the config and all is well.

I returned my first legend when advised by your tech support folks that it was defective.  I got the new one and this is still happening.  Am I doing something wrong?  IF so please help me

jetli Newbie

i have same problem, and what i did was , went to this website http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/myheadset/updater/ then i install the lasted firmware, and bummmmm got it back,.

PLTAdmin PlantronicsEmployee

Hi aettin4157,

Please let us know if any replies help you to resolve your issue.  If they do, I will mark your question as answered.  Thank you!

PLTAdmin PlantronicsEmployee

I have forwarded your question to Tech Support.  Hope to get feedback within 24 hours.  Thanks.

astrobufff Novice

Hi friends.

I have a Voyager legend purchased in end of 2012 and that worked beautifully till, for the first time in its life,  I put it to charge with the POWER switch on the Headset  set to ON. Hell broke loose.

The Headset would switch on with Red LED flashing and the greeting "Power on, Recharge headset."

The headset would connect to my phone and take calls. All else was normal.

I had no clue as to what had gone wrong. The headset is too well built and my usage, too careful for the headset to fail in such a short time.

I ran through all the posts on related forums and arrived at a few conclusions which helped me revive my headset on my own to FULL WORKING CONDITION. Read on.

First and foremost, as with all SMART devices the Legend can hang or freeze. When HUNG the headset inspite of being fully charged will give you the message "Power on, Recharge headset." It is hung / frozen my dear friends, NOT DEAD.

Don't Panic. (I did)

Do the 3 button reset (With Power Switch set to OFF, Press the Volume down, Call End and Mute buttons simultaneously for 4 seconds till a Blue flash is seen from the LED). Now leave the Headset overnight without touching it. In the morning, simply switch it on and use it WITHOUT CHARGING IT even if it flashes Red LEDs on booting with the greeting "Power on, Recharge headset."

Run it through the day and you shall see it return to normal battery reading function.

If this fails, do the 4 button reset.

With the Power switch at OFF,  Press Vol Down, Call and Mute buttons simultaneously while powering the headset ON.

You shall get 4 Blue flashes followed by Red and Blue alternate flashes. Switch off and on again.

You may still get the greeting "Power on, Recharge headset"  with the Red LEDs flashing. However the handset can be used to make and receive calls. Use the headset till the battery runs down to restore normal battery readout.

I also noticed that the Volume Up or Down can be used interchangeably both in the 3 and 4 button Reset.

My friend had just left his hung handset unused for a few days and it returned to normal function. (Power Switch in OFF position.)

I guess the battery ran down and the battery level reading function was thus restored.

I had additionally updated the firmware from 44 to 99 using  http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/myheadset/updater/

This however may not be necessary in your case. The update does help marginally improve functioning though.

With Firmware 99, in-call disturbance is lower, and effective operative distance increases slightly as a consequence. The voice functionality is smoother as far as I could make out.

Hope this would help some of you in a similar predicament.

As with all premium electronics, understand the device and learn to work around it's quirks. Your experience will be unparalleled.

**MOST IMPORTANT**   DO NOT CHARGE THE HEADSET WITH POWER SWITCH SET TO ON**

It works most of the time but it may hang once in a while.

billt1111 Newbie

I have a Voyager Legend that has worked fine for 6 months charging with an older desktop and laptop with windows 7.  I got a new desktop with windows 8 and now it won't charge.  I had to charge it with my old laptop.  I get 2 blinks of the blue LED, with the power on or off.  Now I just got a new laptop with windows 7 on it, and it will not charge the Legend either.  It just blinks blue and never charges.  My Headset updater is installed and working but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the ability to charge.

Has anyone seen this?

archiep Newbie

Well gosh be darned!

My Legend kept on telling me to Recharge Battery and when I connected it to the charger, the red light would flash 3 times then nothing, so I perused this site and tried everything.

Not really sure which item got it to work, but this morning the battery indicator on the iPhone is full and I have 7-hours talk time.

Here is what I tried:

1. Shorting the contacts on the headset itself - something to do with static?

2. Trying different chargers in case it was a charger issue.

3. The 3-finger salute - volume down, mute and call button pressed at the same time - hold for 4 seconds until the blue LED flashes. (details above) I tried this the day before yesterday, left it off for the night, but it did not seem to fix the issue - still had red flashing lights yesterday. The poster of the 3-finger salute is insistent about not charging with the power button ON - I always have mine on - never switch it off - so maybe a behaviour change is called for.

4. Firmware upgrade yesterday to whatever is the latest firmware. (99 I think)

Certainly the firmware upgrade was the last thing I did, turned the power OFF on the Legend after the upgrade - this morning powered it up and well lookee here - working again!

Moral - don't give up! Keep on trying. I know there are threads that say that firmware upgrade stuffs things up, but it appears to have done the trick for me.

Yes - this should NOT happen, and more is the pity since it is hands down the best headset I have ever owned. I lost my first one - didn't hesitate - went out and got another one. I talk for hours on the phone and this headset is the bees knees!

astrobufff Novice

Couldn't agree with you more.

This is arguably the best hardware that I have used.

My silicone earpiece fell apart but I received a free replacement within a week.

Plantronics promptly supports its customers, hence any niggles can be easily and happily sorted out before they get on your nerves.

The firmware quality is still not matching the hardware if you ask me honestly. But getting there.

The firmware upgrade to 99 does reduce in-call static and slightly increase the operational distance.

Stability with Firmware 99 is better.

Highly recommend a firmware update but ensure a stable windows, power and a clear reliable internet connection.

I haven't experienced a break in either during upgrade, not that I would like to.

;-)