18 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 12:25 PM by bhousley RSS

How to change battery in Voyager 510...

willielassiter Newbie

I have a couple of voyager 510 headsets with dead batteries. where can i obtain a replacement batteries and instructions as to how to replace the batteries?

thanks

• Re: How to change battery in Voyager 510...
    PLTEngSW PlantronicsEmployee
    The Voyager 510 contains a custom made Lithium Ion battery, it is not user replaceable. :smileysad:
      willielassiter Newbie

ok, so the battery is not user replaceable. got that.

so then how does a user get it replaced? or is this unit a disposable headset?

and if it is a disposable unit, is this also true of other plantronics bluetooth headsets?

There is no way to get the battery replaced.

There are few, if any, Bluetooth headsets that you will find that have battery that is user replaceable or a service to replace that battery.

By the time you included shipping charges in that equation you may find it a similar cost to buying a new headset. Please do look at the Voyager PRO which is the much smaller and lighter successor to the Voyager 510.

willielassiter Newbie

first, i have look at the voyager pro, and it costs $100, which is a lot to pay when i already 2 perfectly good 510s, whose only problem is the dead batteries.

second, i'm not sure what shipping service ur referring to, but given the size and weight of a 510, i doubt shipping would be close to the cost of buying a new one.

third, just because the rest of the industry is making the same mistake of building disposable headsets is no reason for plantronics or any other company to do the same.

finally, i'm assuming that a voyager pro doesn't have a replacable battery either, which means if the battery in it lasts 18 months to two years,  the cost of ownership would be around $4 - $6 a month. so, i think its definitely time to look for a generic bluetooth headset off of ebay. i mean i'm just throwing my money away regardless.

still, thanks for your prompt responses.

willielassiter wrote:

... i already 2 perfectly good 510s, whose only problem is the dead batteries.

How have you decided the headsets have dead batteries?

Have the headsets been in constant use and now your talktime is very short? Or have the headsets been left in a box for many weeks/months and you have just tried to charge them. If the latter, well it maybe the battery is OK, but it may take 15 to 20 minutes connetced to the charger before any lights appear on the headset to indicate charging is ongoing.

willielassiter Newbie

both headsets were purchased and put into service at approximately the same time over 18 months now, but probably not more than 24.

one headset was used daily over that period and the the other more infrequently. both headset exhibit the same behavior now, in that the charge indicator light does not light up on either. a third headset purchased less than 12 months ago does however take and hold a charge from the same ac adapter.

so, yes, i've concluded that the battery is dead in the first two units, and will probably be dead in the third within the next 12 months, when it will join the other two in my technology museum.

anyway, according to what i've stated above, what would you conclude?

willielassiter wrote:

anyway, according to what i've stated above, what would you conclude?

Did you leave them connected to the charger for 15 minutes or so as suggested? If a battery has been left idle for a long time, it goes into a state which can take quite sometime for the battery to accept enough energy for the LED indication to show the headset is charging.

willielassiter Newbie

duh, two devices purchased at about the same time. both stop working at about the same time. neither had been left unused for more than a few days.

and yes, they were left charging for a lot longer than 15 minutes.

in fact now that you mention it, one is still plugged into the charger right as i type this.

i'd say days would be plenty of time to "accept enough energy for the LED indication to show the headset is charging."

wouldn't you?

anyway, the only thing that is going to wake these babies from the dead is new batteries, which apparently is not an option, and also not very "Green". the planet is toxic enough without companies creating more plastic-laced, disposable, lithium products.

please, next time, read the Large Print, and stop trying to pretend like disposable products are a good thing, or using the excuse that "it's ok, because everybody else in the industry does it."

Message Edited by willielassiter on 07-11-2009 06:58 PM
                    robaki Newbie

I agree, I have about a dozen Voyager 510LS (system with lifter) systems in my company.  When I inquired about replacing the battery, they said no battery replacement only a replacement on the whole system for $125.  Then (the cheapskate I am) I reasoned that I could get a Voyager headset only for $40.  That is what I ended up doing, so now I have more waste in the packaging materials, the spare charger I don't need, etc.  This sounds like Ipod, Iphone all over again.

@Plantronics - can you give me a good reason why batteries are not replaceable other than "shipping/return" costs?  I'm getting fed up with this disposable trend!

rtrsr Newbie
            Ge Bluetooth Headset Replaceable Aaa Battery - sold on Amazon for $29.99
              tntrancher1 Newbie

Ya know, Ii should think that the expensive "Voyager Pro" would last longer than 1 1/2 years with average usage. I occasionally used it for road driving, and after just 18 months it's toast! WTF?! I feel as if I got ripped off. Thanks Plantronics!!! You'll never get my business again, and I promise after talking around you'll lose greater business as a result.

cj23gc Newbie

If you can find a battery online for it the replacement is relatively easy if you have any experience with soldering or take it to your local electronics repair shop. the plastic part of the headset comes off of the rubber by gently prying with a mini flathead screwdriver and carefully work your way up both sides. once you remove that you will see the board and the battery soldered on by two wires red and black. i recently had to open my voyager pro up to repair it due to water damage and they both have relatively the same construction. its working no problem now. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I will see if i can find a battery anywhere. If it comes down to it just pay for battery and both ways shipping. i would do repair for $5. Working on electronics is what i do for a living but also what i do for fun.

sdelizo Newbie

My PLT 510 will no longer recharge and it is about 20 months old.  why aren't you using a standard sized battery that can be purchased at any battery store or watch repair shop?  Think Green and Recyclability.

sdelizo Newbie

From this time forward, I will only consider purchasing or recommending wireless headsets with replaceable batteries.  This is ridiculus.

k311y Newbie

If you think you got screwed on a Bluetooth headset - try buying a Savi system. I just found out my Wo200 systems have headsets with batteries that aren't replaceable either! WTF!?!?!? $250 wireless headset systems without replaceable batteries? Who thinks this is a good business decision?!?!?

bhousley Newbie

I tried all the button holding to no avail.  I also left it on the charger for quite a while without results.

I'm going to take mine apart and try to prime charge it.  This has worked with other devices I've had with a computer-controlled charging sequence when the battery has been drained below the level necessary to activate the computer- controlled recharge.

Thirty minutes or so hooked up to a pair of tripple AAs should do it.

I'll keep this forum appraised of the result.